Online PPM Converter
Select files for conversion or drag and drop them to the upload area.
Your files are securely protected and available only to you.
All files are automatically deleted from our servers after 1 hour.
Information about PPM file format
|Full name||Portable Pixmap file|
|MIME type||image/x-ppm, image/x-portable-pixmap|
|Developed by||Jef Poskanzer|
|Type of format||Image File|
|Description||The portable pixmap format (PPM) is an image format designed to be easily exchanged between platforms used by Netpbm - an open-source package of graphics programs and a programming library, used mainly in the Unix world. The format is the lowest common denominator color image file format and is highly inefficient, containing a lot of information the human eye can't even discern. The precursor to the PPM format was the PBM format invented by Jef Poskanzer in the 1980s as a format that allowed monochrome bitmaps to be transmitted within an email message as plain ASCII text, allowing it to survive any changes in text formatting. By 1988, Poskanzer had developed the PGM and PPM formats and their associated tools and added them to Pbmplus. The final release of Pbmplus was December 10, 1991.|
|Technical details||A PPM file consists of a sequence of one or more PPM images. There are no data, delimiters, or padding before, after, or between images. Each PPM image consists of the following: A magic number for identifying the file type. A ppm image's magic number is the two characters P6. Whitespace (blanks, TABs, CRs, LFs). A width, formatted as ASCII characters in decimal. Whitespace. A height, again in ASCII decimal. Whitespace. The maximum color value (Maxval), again in ASCII decimal. Must be less than 65536 and more than zero. A single whitespace character (usually a newline). A raster of Height rows, in order from top to bottom. Each row consists of Width pixels, in order from left to right. Each pixel is a triplet of red, green, and blue samples, in that order. Each sample is represented in pure binary by either 1 or 2 bytes. If the Maxval is less than 256, it is 1 byte. Otherwise, it is 2 bytes. The most significant byte is first. There is another version of the PPM format that is fairly rare: plain PPM format.|
|Associated programs||Adobe Photoshop, Corel Draw, GIMP, Netpbm|
- 👍 What is the best PPM converter?
- AnyConv. Our PPM converter is fast, free and does not require software installation.
- 🔺 How to convert Image files to PPM?
- Choose files and upload them on the page. Select "to PPM" and click "Convert". After a few seconds, you can download PPM files.
- 🔻 How do i change PPM to another format?
- Upload your PPM-file on the page. Select target format and click "Convert". PPM conversion takes a few seconds.
- 📱 Can I use PPM converter on iPhone or iPad?
- Yes, you can convert PPM files from iPhone, iPad and other mobile devices, because AnyConv PPM Converter is a multi-platform web service.